Turn Off the TV Week!Posted: April 20, 2010
Turn Off the TV!
Turn Off Your TV Week (April 19-25) is a challenge to families to spend time together without television. The amount of time our children spend in front of the TV is at an all-time high. Kids ages 2 to 5 watch an average of 32 hours of TV a week; kids ages 6 to 11 more than 28 hours. That’s a far cry from the American Academy of Pediatrics’ recommendation that children view 1-2 hours of quality programming a day. Be inspired by Turn Off Your TV Week and check out these fun and easy ideas to be active and enjoy family time instead. Get ideas:
- With nicer weather finally here, go outside! Play hide-and-seek or tag, kick or throw a ball around, or have a drawing contest with sidewalk chalk.
- Go for a family walk after dinner or play at your local park.
- Cook dinner together. Even young children can help by washing vegetables, stirring soup or helping to set the table.
- Enjoy family reading time! Reading encourages imagination and brain development. Read to your children; and as they learn to read themselves, let them read to you.
- Start a family game night that gives each member of the family a turn to choose a board game.