grilled vegetable parmesanPosted: April 23, 2010
While eggplant parmesan may seem healthy since it is based on a vegetable, battered and fried, does not a healthy vegetable make. But, when you skip the frying, eggplant parmesan can be both healthy and delicious! This is not the fastest meal to make, but you could also grill all of the vegetables ahead of time and then assemble later.
Grilled Vegetable Parmesan – 4 servings adapted from Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 red pepper, sliced into 4 pieces
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/2″ thick slices
- 1 red onion, sliced into 1/2″ thick slices
- 1 large fennel bulb, sliced into 1/2″ thick slices
- jar of fire roasted tomato sauce
- 1/4 lb. parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- basil and red pepper flakes for garnish
Pre-heat oven to 400° F. Heat grill and mist all veggies with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill eggplant for about 3 minutes per side and set aside. Repeat with all vegetables. Cut pepper into strips after grilling. Pour 1/2 cup sauce on bottom of a 9×13 pan. Spread out with a spoon. Layer on eggplant, more sauce and a little cheese. Repeat with remaining vegetables, sauce and cheese. (Essentially making a lasagna) Top with 1/2 cup bread crumbs and bake for about 25-30 minutes until cheese has melted and sauce is bubbly.