build your own burrito bowlPosted: November 5, 2010
Have you ever had a burrito bowl from Chipotle? It’s a Mexican favorite that can actually be very healthy in addition to so flavorful!
The components are simple, but when combined together, you’ve got a quick, easy meal that each family member can build to their own preferences!
- Lettuce creates a healthy base – crunchy romaine is a favorite!
- Whole grains are great – 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- Time for fiber – 1/2 cup black or pinto beans
- Pick a protein – 1/2-3/4 cup chicken breast, or lean beef
- Add veggies for good measure – tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, spinach, onions (can be raw or sautéed)
- Toppings to add flavor – salsa, guacamole (1/4 cup), sprinkling of cheese (2 T), light sour cream (2 T), olives, sliced jalapeños